If you work in marketing or blog for a living (or as a hobby), you’ve no doubt heard of guest posting.
There’s a reason so many people use this strategy—it’s because it works. It can get you in front of a larger audience and help increase traffic to your website. You can also feature guests on your blog to diversify your content and provide your audience with a fresh perspective.
Before we dive into the nitty-gritty of submitting publish-worthy guest posts, we’ll cover some basics like what is guest posting? How can you hop on the bandwagon? How can guest posts help with your SEO? What kinds of results can you expect from guest blogging?
Let’s get started.
What is Guest Posting?
Guest posting (or blogging) is writing for another company’s blog or website. Typically, you’ll write for a business in your niche or industry. That way, you can speak with authority and share knowledge from your professional experience.
Guest posting (or blogging) is writing for another company’s blog or website.
Guest blogging should be mutually beneficial for you and the business you write for. Guest posting is a smart tactic to try if you want to:
- Drive new, relevant traffic to your website
- Increase brand awareness
- Build authority and credibility online and in your niche
- Establish yourself as a thought leader
- Build relationships with influencers and peers in your industry
- Boost your domain authority by linking to high-quality websites
- Build backlinks
- Grow your blog readership
Why Does Guest Posting Matter for SEO?
Guest blogging can help you build quality backlinks by including a link in your guest post that leads back to your website. Backlinks can help your content rank higher on search engines over time so more people can see, click on, and find your website.
Make sure you collaborate with businesses that have a higher website domain authority than your own. You want to increase your website’s domain authority—not lower it. You can download the MozBar to identify the domain authority of different websites.
You should also choose websites that get a lot of traffic and have a similar target audience. The more engaged a blog audience is, the better your post will perform.
How to Get Results from Guest Posting
If you’re an SEO guru, you’ve probably heard people say things like “guest blogging is dead” or “the practice has become too spammy.” These arguments are valid in some cases. Many companies started “cheating” the system—building backlinks by publishing low-quality content on as many websites as possible. Google took notice and started penalizing them.
So, does guest blogging still work?
Absolutely—if done correctly.
To ensure Google doesn’t penalize your backlinks, only use white-hat SEO (Google-approved optimization strategies). Your goal should be to create quality content for real humans. If you play by the rules, guest posting can reward your business in 2021 and beyond.
Your goal should be to create quality content for real humans.
Tips for Getting Optimal Results from Guest Blogging
As we’ve already mentioned, the content you post must be high quality and offer readers value. Only allow other bloggers to guest post on your website if their content is high caliber as well. If it’s not, Google might think it’s spammy, which could harm your rankings and reputation.
If your content isn’t high quality, it could hurt your reputation and SEO.
Follow these tips as you write, optimize, and publish guest blog posts:
- Follow set writing guidelines the publisher asks guests to follow.
- Use keyword and topic research tools to find relevant topics with high traffic volume and low competition.
- Research to learn what questions your target audience is asking about your chosen topic.
- Write helpful, accurate, and high-quality content that matches the intent of your target readers.
- Add helpful screenshots, images, quotes, infographics, and videos to make your content come to life.
- Include a concise bio that contains a link to your website.
- Add a call to action that asks people to engage by commenting on your post.
- Include social share buttons.
- Promote the post on social media for more traffic opportunities.
- Link to the post from your website.
- Respond to comments personally.
- Don’t focus on your company, product, or service in the blog post.
- Don’t add irrelevant links.
- Track your post on social media and Google Analytics to see how it performs over time.
- Update your post regularly so it remains evergreen (by emailing the publisher with changes as needed).
How to Submit a Guest Post
To find good guest blogging opportunities, follow these steps for pitching and writing valuable content.
1. Do Your Research
The first step is finding relevant opportunities in your industry. Look for websites that already feature guest bloggers in your niche. Make sure the blog has an engaged audience and the company is active on social media. The business should also have a good reputation and high domain authority.
Use the following tactics to find suitable guest posting opportunities:
- Search social media
- Identify industry leaders and prolific guest bloggers
- Follow competitor backlinks
- Conduct Google searches
2. Prepare Your Pitch
Many websites have step-by-step guidelines for guest writers. If you find websites that don’t, use a contact form to reach the editor directly. Include basic information like who you are, what your business does, what your professional qualifications are, and why you want to pitch your idea.
If the editor responds positively, you can prepare your guest post pitch. To prepare your pitch, delve into the blog’s current content to better understand the audience, tone, and format. Find other guest blog posts to see how they were written and how they’re performing.
3. Pitch Your Guest Post Idea
It’s time to create your pitch email to send to the editor or blog owner. Make sure you personalize it and address the receiver by name. Your email should be straightforward, clear, well-written, and engaging.
Make sure your subject line is descriptive, your copy is friendly, and you add a synopsis of what you’ll include in the guest post. Include why you’re an excellent candidate to guest blog and attach a few links to high-performing posts you’ve published online.
4. Submit Your Guest Post
If your pitch is approved, you can submit your guest post! It should be some of your best content. Remember to focus on the needs of your audience, not your business. Provide value and include internal and external links (that aren’t self-promotional).
Follow the right format, optimize your post for search engines, and include a call to action that asks readers to comment. Don’t forget your bio, where you can include a link back to your website and/or social media handles.
How Often Should You Guest Post?
This depends on your business goals and time availability. At a minimum, aim for at least once a month if your goal is to boost your website SEO. If your goal is to maintain your SEO, guest post at least once per quarter.
20 Awesome Guest Posting Sites
Finding guest posting sites that are actively accepting submissions can be time-consuming. We thought we’d make it easier for you by providing a list of the best guest posting sites to consider writing for in 2021. Look for businesses in your niche so your content will offer incredible value to readers.
Find websites closely related to your niche or industry so your guest posts will be relevant and offer incredible value to readers.
- Search Engine Watch| Domain Score: 90 | Submission info: register
- Single Grain| Domain Score: 86 | Submission info: contact form
- Smart Insights| Domain Score: 90 | Submission info: contact form
- HubSpot| Domain Score: 96 | Submission info: see guidelines
- PandaDoc| Domain Score: 85 | Submission info: contact form
- Satori Web Academy| Domain Score: 88 | Submission info: see guidelines
- Copyhackers| Domain Score: 85 | Submission info: see guidelines
- The Blog Herald| Domain Score: 80 | Submission info: contact form
- iBlog Zone| Domain Score: 89 | Submission info: contact form
Fitness and Sports
Home and Garden
Family and Parenting
- Harvard Business Review | Domain Score: 94 | Submission info: see guidelines
- | Domain Score: 93 | Submission info: see guidelines
- Fast Company| Domain Score: 94 | Submission info: see guidelines
- Tiny Buddha | Domain Score: 80 | Submission info: see guidelines
- Lifehack| Domain Score: 89 | Submission info: see guidelines
- SimpleMost | Domain Score: 85 | Submission info: email@example.com
- Sunset Magazine | Domain Score: 83 | Submission info: firstname.lastname@example.org
20 Perfect Guest Blogging Headline Ideas
Your headline is what grabs people’s attention and gets them to read your post. If it falls flat, you could lose huge traffic and engagement opportunities.
Good headlines tug at the heartstrings and address questions people are asking. While you need to make your headlines unique, you should also follow proven formulas that successful publications and blogs use. As they say—“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”
Here are 20 tried-and-true headline ideas—broken down into different categories—to help your content stand out and gain traction. Use them as guidelines and creative inspiration to develop your attention-grabbing headlines. For specific headline examples, read our previous blog post: “50 Headline Ideas for Blog Posts and Contributor Pitches.”
- How to master [obstacle] with [a tip]
- How to [daunting task] with a simple hack
- How [your audience] can survive [a challenging event]
- X specific ways to embrace the future
- X vital questions you need to answer to [improvement]
- X best practices that will [improvement]
- What I now know after [common or unpleasant experience]
- Why now is the time to [buzzworthy action]
- Things [recognizable person or company in your industry] overlooked
Problems and Issues
- The problem with [buzzworthy topic]
- Common mistakes to avoid when [challenging point in a process]
- Why [popular subject] isn’t enough
- Difficult situation? Ways to fix it
- Spending too much time on [something]? Why it’s time to switch to [a better option]
- Need to [desired action]? Try this
- The differences between [X] and [Y]
- Hacks for [valuable tip for your audience]
Tips and Guides
- A minimalist guide to [a not-so-easy task]
- Tips or resources to help you achieve [your goal]
- The ultimate guide to [audience’s desired skill]
Start Submitting Guest Posts
If you want help pitching the perfect blog posts to build your authority online and increase traffic to your website, Pitch & Perfect can help. We train writing assistants and VAs backlink building and digital PR to help businesses and bloggers boost their rankings online.
Contact us to learn more!